First aid is the immediate care given to an injured or suddenly ill person and every person should be trained in how to administer first aid. First aid does not take the place of getting proper medical treatment by a qualified and licensed practitioner but knowing first aid and how to properly apply is important.
Ages and Stages of Youth Development
Beginners should understand the basics of first aid and convey the message through educational posters and/or displays. The exhibits show a basic knowledge of first aid, as well as how to stay safe and avoid injuries.
Understand the basic skills of first aid and be able to exhibit those. The member can communicate that knowledge through educational displays and demonstrations. The member knows the ABC’s of first aid care (Airway, Breathing, Circulation).
Seniors can demonstrate advanced first aid skills, exhibit proper prevention methods to avoid injuries and illness, and can communicate these skills through public speaking, displays, and demonstrations of first aid in action.
4-H Programming Priorities
Acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to administer first aid care as a first responder and demonstrates first aid training and awareness.
Health & Wellness
Through the 4-H first aid project the 4-H member learns the importance of healthy lifestyle choices and learns skills in promoting safety, wellness, and fitness.
Through the 4-H first aid project, members learn about career choices in medicine, pharmacy, and healthy living.
Learn the importance of farm safety education, promoting safe farming practices, and the skills necessary for prevention and aid of farm accidents.
- Demonstrations on first aid administration
- Communication about the importance first aid certification
- Teach classes on fitness and health
- Teach classes on proper first aid administration
- Make first aid kits for community centers
- Teach how to avoid injuries and prevent illness
- Nurse/nurse practitioner
- Emergency medical technician (EMT)
- Educational displays
- Educational posters
- First aid kits
- CPR instructions and/or demonstrations
- Public speaking presentations
- Winter survival kits
- Emergency preparedness kits
- Emergency animal care kit