Skip to main content

Pet Food & Pet Treats

Written by Sierra Blachford under the direction and review of Michael Blume.

South Dakota Feed & Animal Remedy Program

In South Dakota the Department of Agriculture Feed & Animal Remedy Program is the agency that oversees the manufacturing, licensing and labeling of animal feeds and remedies. Local foods producers interested in selling pet foods or pet treats need to be in compliance with this program.

For more information, visit the Feed & Animal Remedy Program website. This page provides links to program information, laws and regulations, and applications forms.

Local food producers interested in manufacturing and selling pet foods and pet treats should contact the SD Dept. of Agriculture for assistance. If they are included at the beginning of the product creation process, the SD Dept. of Agriculture can help provide guidance on formulas and labeling. This can make the process of adjusting and approving recipes or labels easier. Visit their website to learn more.

Anyone who manufactures a commercial feed within the state must have a Commercial Feed License. This includes pet foods and pet treats. The fee for a license is $50 per in-state location or per manufacturer name and location listed on a commercial feed label. The license must be renewed biennially. The application form is available online.

If products are sold exclusively in packages that weigh less than ten pounds, they are charged using a small package fee in lieu of a tonnage fee. For more information on fees see the South Dakota Feed Tonnage & Inspection Fee Report.

Ingredients must be defined by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), accepted as GRAS (generally regarded as safe) or common food ingredients. When selecting ingredients, keep in mind that just because an ingredient is used in human food does not mean it is acceptable for pet food. As a general rule if the AAFCO guidelines for labeling and ingredients are followed, the product will be acceptable.

Net weight, guaranteed analysis for crude protein crude fat, crude fiber and max moisture should all be recorded on the product label. To collect this information, make a few small batches and send them to a commercial laboratory. The business or individual’s name and address should be included on the label as well. Contact the SDDA with additional questions.

Related Topics

Farmers Market Operation