Life stories are pieces of history that should be valued and preserved for future generations. If you are ready to preserve these pieces of history in your community, then it’s time to sponsor an Heirlooms: Creative Life Writing workshop, taught by Dr. Molly Barari, South Dakota Humanities Council Scholar.
The workshop is appropriate for senior centers, community centers, libraries, nonprofit organizations, women’s groups, and other community groups. These workshops provide an interactive experience where participants can translate their life experiences into words and share their stories with others.
If hosting an Heirlooms: Creative Life Writing workshop sounds like a good fit for your community, here are the steps you can take to make it happen:
- Contact South Dakota Humanities Council Scholar Molly Barari at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine a date and time that works both for her and your organization. You must schedule each program at least four weeks in advance.
- Fill out a quick and easy online application with the South Dakota Humanities Council to apply for the program. The application can be accessed on the South Dakota Humanities Council website.
- Complete the online application after you have visited with Molly. You will be applying for the Speaker Bureau for a SDHC scholar (Molly) to present Heirlooms: Creative Life Story Writing.
- Be aware that for an in-person program, the fee for your organization is $50. For a virtual program, the fee is $25. These are the only costs incurred for your organization. Payment can be made via credit card by calling (605) 688-6113 or mailed to the South Dakota Humanities Council at 1215 Trail Ridge Rd Ste A, Brookings, SD 57006. For questions on payments, contact Deb Delaney at email@example.com.
- You may apply for up to six programs in a fiscal year, so if your community loves the program, please apply to host it again!