Quality wine grapes can be grown in South Dakota with careful attention to growing site, cultivar selection and production techniques.
Following are links to selected information available from SDSU Extension and other sources that will help you in deciding whether grape growing is for you, and to grow quality fruit.
Please note that some of these resources may mention cultivars that are not suitable for South Dakota.
Starting a Vineyard
- Starting a Commercial Grape Vineyard in South Dakota, SDSU Extension.
- Describes factors to consider in selecting a site, evaluating feasibility, and initial steps in establishing a vineyard.
- Grape Varieties for South Dakota, SDSU Extension.
- The cultivars listed in this publication have been grown reliably in the state.
- A Review of Cold Climate Grape Cultivars, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
- Not all of the cultivars described in this publication are hardy enough for South Dakota winters; look for cultivars that can survive -25°F or colder.
- Trellis End Post Assembly Designs for Vineyards, New Mexico State University.
- Vineyard Establishment Guides, Michigan State University Extension.
- Vineyard Work Calendar, SDSU Extension.
- Canopy Management Webinars, Northern Grapes Project.
- Scroll down the page for a variety of different talks on managing your vines for optimal quality and yield of today’s cold-hardy cultivars.
- Growing Grapes – Managing the Vineyard: Pruning, Cooperative Extension.
- A variety of resources on pruning. How-to’s, why’s, and more.
- Winter: Grapevine Pruning & Injury Assessment, New England Wine Grape Growers Resource Center.
- Basics: Grape anatomy and vine balance, selecting canes, videos and more.
Vineyard Nutrient Management in Northern Climates
- Herbicide Drift Damage to Grapes, Iowa State University Extension.
- Links to a wide range of Herbicide drift resources
- South Dakota Pesticide Complaint Information, South Dakota Department of Agriculture.
- Information on reporting a pesticide drift incident.
- Sensitive Crop Registry for Growers and Applicators, FieldWatch.
- Use this tool to inform pesticide applicators about your vineyard’s location
- Midwest Commercial Small Fruit & Grape Spray Guide, Purdue University.
- Current recommendations for insecticides, fungicides, and herbicides, with related topics.
- Vineyard Pest Scouting Pocket Guide, Michigan State University.
- A must-have! Updated 2011.
- Vineyard Pest Scouting App, Texas Tech University.
- Phylloxera: A Grape Pest, SDSU Extension.
- Why this dreaded insect is not as destructive on our Northern varieties.
- Assessing Winter Bud Injury Damage, Finger Lakes Grape Program.
Other Useful Websites
- Northern Grapes Project
- Multi-state research and extension project highlighting ongoing research; check out the “Webinars” page
- Nebraska - Viticulture Research & Extension
- Current events, basic information, presentations from conferences, and much more!
- Growing Grapes in the Home Garden (Minnesota)
- Although designed for the home grower, contains useful information, including grape characteristics and plant establishment.
- Cornell University, NY - Grape Production
- South Dakota Specialty Producers Association