Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail and Peter. Maybe Beatrix Potter stories were your first introduction to rabbits back when you were just a toddler. No matter what your age, rabbits are fascinating creatures. Cute and cuddly, large and small, straight ears or floppy; there’s much to learn about rabbit varieties.
Your rabbit may live in the barn or in hutch in your yard; it may even be your house pet! No matter whether your rabbit is raised for meat or is your roommate, you can begin your journey in 4-H in the rabbit project.
Ages and Stages of Youth Development
Understand the responsibility of caring for an animal. Learn about rabbits, identify parts and breeds, purchase, feed, and care for their rabbit, learn the correct showmanship procedures, and begin record keeping.
Learn the different rabbit body types, proper grooming techniques, and common rabbit diseases. Understand the difference between 4 class and 6 class rabbits as well as the income and expenses of the project.
Establish a rabbit breeding program, manage a rabbit herd, and find buyers for rabbits. Also, design a housing unit for a rabbit herd. Learn breed genetics and how to tell if a rabbit is pregnant.
4-H Programming Priorities
Become a leader in the project area by volunteering at a local rabbit show, teaching others to safely handle and show rabbits, and bring a rabbit to a petting zoo.
Health & Wellness
Confidence is built by caring for a rabbit and working with the animal reduces stress. Also, reading with rabbits creates a safe reading environment.
Gain knowledge of rabbit/animal anatomy, genetics, and breeding animals. Understand the impact of the environment on a rabbit herd.
Understand and promote the role of rabbits in the agriculture industry and promote animal ethics.
- Discuss showmanship with the scorecard as a reference
- Speak about care and feeding of a rabbit
- Illustrated talk on breed identification
- Reading with rabbits program for elementary youth
- Share rabbit project with Cloverbuds, a learning center, and childcare facilities
- Rabbit producer
- American Rabbit Breeders Association judge
- Animal rescue
- Small animal veterinarian
- Make your own rabbit carrier or cage
- Develop a breeding herd
- Show a rabbit
- Rabbit showmanship
- Display on how to tattoo a rabbit
- Display on the medical uses of rabbits
- Participate in rabbit skill-a-thon
- National 4-H Curriculum
- For information regarding rabbits refer to the Standard of Perfection, published by the American Rabbit Breeder’s Association, Inc.