An identification guide to common Dung Beetles of South Dakota
Dung beetle facts
- Dung beetles have been found on every continent in the world except Antarctica.
- There are over 6,000 known species of dung beetles.
- Some dung beetles are picky eaters and prefer only specific types of animal dung.
- Most dung beetles exhibit parental care for their young.
- Dung beetles are extremely territorial and often compete with one another for food and nesting space.
- Dung beetles have a critical role in the function of many ecosystems by speeding up the dung decomposition process and cycling important nutrients into the soil.
- Most dung beetle species do not have common names.
SDSU Extension invites women in agriculture to attend a Women on the Range Workshop on June 8 and 9 at The Branding Iron restaurant (19079 US-85, Belle Fourche, SD 57717).
This page contains a list of nearby state or private laboratories that can be used for crop production fields, gardens and lawns.
March 31, 2023
South Dakota State University Extension invites women in agriculture to attend a Women on the Range Workshop on June 8 and 9 at The Branding Iron restaurant in Belle Fourche, South Dakota.