What do you like to do for fun? Those games and activities you participate in now may be setting you up for a life of well-being. Leisure and recreation activities provide outlets for youth and adults to relax, socialize, and engage in healthy activities. You can investigate topics such as how to find and become involved in recreation activities, how to maintain equipment, and what health and wellness opportunities your community offers.
Ages and Stages of Youth Development
Beginners start with learning about the leisure and recreation opportunities available. Partake in new experiences and learn about the equipment and regulations of each one.
Juniors understand the connection between leisure and recreation and lifetime health and wellness. They may choose to design a new experience for other youth in their area.
Seniors can learn a new activity, and they should plan and implement a skills workshop for younger youth. Seniors may also choose to do a job shadow with a professional in the leisure activity or recreation field.
4-H Programming Priorities
How can you lead others without taking care of yourself? By learning how to maintain a well-balanced lifestyle, you are setting yourself up for a success.
Health & Wellness
Leisure and recreation activities are an excellent opportunity to remain active and improve both physical and emotional health.
Learn the proper nutrition and body mechanics for a variety of activities to eliminate fatigue and the possibility of injury.
Leisure and recreation activities help all people learn new skills, even those in underserved agricultural areas, thus leading to a better quality of life for all.
- Demonstration on maintaining your camping gear
- Write an article about activities in your community
- Organize a club hike at a nearby park
- Lead a fundraiser to update the school’s sports equipment
- Volunteer with a summer recreation program
- Park director
- Athletic director or coach
- Park ranger
- Physical therapist
- Afterschool program coordinator
- City planner
- Demonstrate use and care for protective equipment for outdoor activities
- Video of yourself teaching others a new skill
- Organize a field trip to try a new activity