I-29 Moo University will host its 2023 Dairy Beef Short Course on Tuesday, March 28 as part of the pre-educational events for the Central Plains Dairy Expo. It will be held in the Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls, South Dakota in rooms 8, 9 and 10 from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. CDT.
The Dairy Beef Short Course, hosted by I-29 Moo University, is a collaboration of dairy specialists and beef specialists from South Dakota State University, University of Minnesota, Iowa State University and University of Nebraska Extension Services.
- 9:00 to 9:30 a.m. CDT - Registration
- 9:30 to 10:15 a.m. - National attitudes by dairy producers about crossbreeding beef on dairy: Dr. Tara Felix, Penn State University
- 10:15 to 11:00 a.m. - Carcasses and cattle biotypes: Dr. Dale Woerner, Texas Tech University
- 11:00 to 11:45 a.m. - Implant strategies for dairy sourced cattle: Dr. Alfredo DiCostanzo, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. - Lunch
- 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. - Perspectives and experiences on feeding dairy and dairy cross cattle: Dr. Jeremy Schefers, Milk Specialties
- 1:15 to 1:30 p.m. - Liver abscess summary: Dr. Nathan Pyatt, Elanco
- 1:30 to 3:00 p.m. - Panel - Roughage concentration for finishing diets: Dr. Jeremy Schefers, Dr. Nathan Pyatt, and Dr. Sheri Bierman, Cattle Nutrition Services
A registration fee of $40 per adult will include the short course, lunch, and the proceedings with digital availability. College students may register for $20. Pre-registration is requested by March 21, and it is limited to 130 attendees on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Dairy Beef Short Course
Follow the link below to preregister online or register by mailing the registration fee to the address below. Please include your contact information and any dietary restrictions when mailing in your registration fee.
- ISU Extension and Outreach - Sioux County
ATTN: Fred Hall
400 Central Ave. NW, Suite #700
Orange City, IA 51041
Central Plains Dairy Expo Welcome Reception
If attendees plan on going to the Central Plains Dairy Expo Welcome Reception, they are encouraged to register online ahead of time also.
For questions, contact Heidi Carroll, SDSU Extension Livestock Stewardship Field Specialist and Beef Quality Assurance Coordinator, at 605-688-6623 or email@example.com; or Fred Hall, ISU Extension and Outreach Dairy Specialist, at 712-737-4230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About I-29 Moo University
The I-29 Moo University Collaboration was established as a multi-state learning community, connecting Extension dairy specialists and dairy producers from North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska to share research, information and management practices through workshops, webinars, monthly e-newsletters and on-farm tours. For more information about the I-29 Moo University Collaboration and programs, visit the I-29 Moo University website.
2022-2023 Annual Sponsors
- Gold sponsors: Iowa Corn Growers Association, TLAY Dairy Video Sales
- Silver sponsors: Form-A-Feed, Grain States Soya Inc./SoyBest, Cambridge Technologies, Minnesota/Select Sires, Trans ova Genetics, Arm & Hammer Animal and Food Production, Diamond V, Phibro Animal Health, Sealpro Silage Barrier Film
- Bronze sponsors: Ag Processing Inc., Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative, Pro Ag Engineering Inc., Nebraska State Dairy Association, Automated Waste Systems, Gorter’s Clay & Dairy Equipment of MN Inc., Deluxe Animal Health, Associated Milk Producers Inc, South Dakota Dairy Producers, Western Iowa Dairy Alliance, Farmers Business Network, Advance Comfort Technology, Agropur, Simplot