Skip to main content

Targeted Grazing Strategies for Kentucky Bluegrass Control

Updated April 13, 2022
Professional portrait of Krista Ehlert

Krista Ehlert

Assistant Professor & SDSU Extension Range Specialist

Written with contributions by Jessalyn Bachler, former SDSU Extension Range Field Specialist.

If Kentucky bluegrass invasion is a problem in your pastures, fall is the time to make a management plan for targeted grazing in spring. A fall pasture inventory of not only forage production, but also range condition and health - including plant species composition - is important to make a grazing plan for next season. Introduced or tame grass species invasion is a key indicator of an unhealthy native rangeland. When taking plant species composition into account, note if your pastures are mainly filled with native grasses or if they are heavily invaded with tame grasses, such as Kentucky bluegrass. For example, if you estimate that a pasture is 70% invaded by Kentucky bluegrass and the remaining 30% is composed of native plant species, a management strategy such as targeted grazing should be utilized to increase overall rangeland health and productivity.