Throughout the growing season, our team of experts bring you research-based solutions and best management practices to garden and yard challenges.
SDSU Extension Garden Hotline
South Dakota citizens may submit garden questions to the SDSU Extension Garden Hotline. Certified and experienced Master Gardeners are available to provide researched-based information on plants, lawns, trees, and insects. Residents should feel free to contact any location:
- SDSU Plant Diagnostic Clinic in Brookings, SD: Provides research-based information on crop health in South Dakota (Fees apply). For more information, visit the SDSU Plant Diagnostic Clinic website, or contact the clinic by email or phone: 605-688-5545.
- Soil Testing: SDSU no longer offers commercial testing (Effective October 2011). A list of nearby state or private laboratories that can be used for crop production fields, gardens and lawns can be found on the SDSU Extension Soil Testing Labs page.
- Master Gardener Program Information and Clubs: The SDSU Extension’s Master Gardener program develops gardening enthusiasts into experts, who share their research-based knowledge with community members across the state. For more information, visit the SDSU Extension Master Gardners page, or contact the program by email or phone: 605-782-3290.
- Ask Extension: Submit garden and yard inquiries using the Ask Extension form below, and an extension horticulture professional or master gardener will reply to the question via email, typically within 48 hours of inquiry.
The widget below is provided through eXtension. Submit a question in 3 easy steps:
- Type in a title and question. To add up to three photos, select 'Choose file' and upload the file.
- Select your county.
- Enter your name and email address.
You will receive an email response from an SDSU Extension staff member or master gardener, usually within 48 hours (excluding holidays and weekends).