4-H youth are given the opportunity to develop critical thinking, communication and teamwork skills through the livestock judging project.
South Dakota 4-H Livestock Judging Series
SDSU Extensions State 4-H program collaborates with the SDSU Animal Science Department to offer the Livestock Judging Series with the following goals:
- To encourage more involvement in the livestock judging activity amongst South Dakota 4-H youth throughout the year and at the state contest.
- To encourage further growth in contestants’ ability to observe, understand, and recognize differences in live animal evaluation.
- To improve public speaking, poise, and confidence in the youth through oral reasons.
- To train youth to be individuals with outstanding honesty, integrity, and communication skills.
- To allow more opportunities for youth to expand their knowledge of livestock species.
For more information, visit the Livestock Judging Series page.