- Should be dry and hard with tightly fitting husks and no mold.
- Store in a refrigerator in a loose or open container in the crisper for 2-3 weeks.
- Used much like tomatoes – baked, broiled, sliced, or braised.
- Can be eaten raw but do have a citrus type tang.
- Sweeter when cooked.
- Main ingredient in a Mexican dish called salsa verde.
Like it! Tomatillo Vinaigrette
- 1 tomatillo, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar (white wine or balsamic)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Combine all ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Serve over salad greens and vegetables.
- Store leftover dressing in refrigerator.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition Facts per Serving: Calories 35; Fat 3.5g; Sodium 15mg; Carbohydrates 1g; Fiber 0g; Sugars 0g; Protein 0g
Colorful fact sheets, recipe cards and educational videos provide educators and families with fun, engaging tools to enhance any dietary curriculum in a variety of settings.
Quick resources are available in the fact sheets below. Download the zipped folder to use the lesson plan, sampling instructions, recipes and display materials in your educational program.