Purpose & Objectives of the 4-H Horse Program
Help the 4-H member:
- Develop leadership, initiative, self-reliance, sportsmanship and other desirable traits of character.
- Experience the pride and responsibility of having an equine and learning about its care, feeding, management, and related costs.
- Appreciate horseback riding as a healthy and wholesome form of recreation.
- Gain skill in horsemanship, patience and understanding when humanely handling horses and ponies along with nurturing a greater love for animals.
- Acknowledge safety precautions to prevent injuries to themselves, others, and horses.
- Prepare for citizenship responsibilities by working together in groups and supporting community horse projects and activities.
Download the 2019 4-H Horse Project Show Guide.
Join us on the State Fairgrounds in Huron, SD to cheer on 4-H horse and pony project members July 22 - 24, 2019.