BROOKINGS, S.D. - To celebrate the third anniversary of the swine facilities at South Dakota State University, SDSU Swine Day will be held at the McCrory Gardens Visitor Center on Tuesday, November 5, 2019, starting at 9:00 AM CST.
Dr. Megan Niederwerder from the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine will serve as the keynote speaker and present her talked entitled “Risk of African Swine Fever and Other Foreign Animal Diseases Through Feed.” Lunch will be served after some updates and information from the South Dakota Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic Laboratory (ADRDL) from Dr. Jane Christopher-Hennings. In the afternoon, Dr. Bob Thaler will speak about the National Pork Board program, Operation Main Street, that allows student volunteers to tell the pork industry’s story of innovation, quality and stewardship from SDSU. Faculty will highlight completed and ongoing research occurring at SDSU’s swine facilities.
All are welcome to attend, free of cost. Registration is available through Monday, November 4, at the SDSU Extension Events page.
- 9:00 AM CST - Graduate student poster session and continental breakfast
- 10:00 - Animal Science Department update – Dr. Joe Cassady, Head of the SDSU Department of Animal Science
- 10:15 - Keynote speaker – Risk of African Swine Fever and Other Foreign Animal Diseases Through Feed – Dr. Megan Niederwerder, Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- 11:30 - Research and Diagnostic Updates from the Veterinary & Biomedical Sciences Department/South Dakota Animal Disease Research & Diagnostic Laboratory – Dr. Jane Christopher-Hennings, Director of the SD ADRDL and Head of the SDSU Department of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
- 11:45 - Update on the Above Ground Burial Research Project – Drs. Bob Thaler, Professor & SDSU Extension Swine Specialist and John McMaine, SDSU Extension Water Management Engineer
- Noon Lunch (Sponsored by the South Dakota Pork Producers Council)
- 1:00 PM CST - Swine Faculty Research Program Highlights (Part 1)
- 1:30 - Operation Main Street – Katelyn Zeamer, Graduate Research Assistant and Dr. Bob Thaler, Professor & SDSU Extension Swine Specialist
- 1:45 - Swine Faculty Research Program Highlights (Part 2)
- 3:00 - SDSU Swine Education Advisory Council