BROOKINGS, S.D. - The Black Hills Stock Show All American Sheep Day will be held Feb. 6, 2020 at the Kjerstad Event Center in Rapid City, S.D. (915 Centre St).
“The goal of Sheep Day is to provide a total sheep industry experience for all attendees, whether or not they are sheep producers.”
“There is a long tradition of sheep production among ranchers in this region and a lot of the sheep industry’s infrastructure can be found in South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and Nebraska.”
SDSU Extension and South Dakota Sheep Growers Association are working with the Black Hills Stock Show and sheep industry partners to provide educational demonstrations and activities for attendees.
Events that will be taking place include the North American Sheep Dog Trials in which more than 50 highly skilled dogs and their handlers will herd sheep through a series of obstacles in the fastest time possible.
The National Sheep Shearing and Wool Handlers Championships will allow the best shearers in the nation to compete in shearing pens of sheep the fastest while cleanly and proficiently removing the fleece with the fewest number of deductions.
Every effort is being made to provide interactive experiences with attendees.
- A spinner’s circle will an provide opportunity to experience the uniqueness of working with the wool fiber in creating clothing
- Samples of prepared lamb will be available
- Displays and vendors of wool and lamb products will be on hand
- Sheep handling, sheep supply and feed companies be on hand to demonstrate and discuss their product lines and services
- The South Dakota Sheep Growers Association is coordinating with concessionaires at the Kjerstad Event Center to have lamb entrées available
- Sheep industry promotion associations and sheep industry-related organizations will be on hand to discuss the value of sheep production
- Demonstration of the Optical Fiber Diameter Analysis Technology (OFDA) and its applications within the Wool Industry – presented by Paige Anderson, North Dakota State University
- Demonstration of Ultrasound Technology to measure Loin Muscle Depth by Dr. Lisa Surber of LM Services
- Demonstration of Ultrasound Technology to determine pregnancy by Dr. Sammi Hanson of Sammi’s Veterinary Services
- Display and presentation of livestock guard dogs by Mitch Carlisle
- History display of a restored sheep wagon and sheep teepees
Ollila went on to explain that the Northern Plains’ states of South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Nebraska make up 20 percent of all sheep raised in the United States. The sheep industry in this area includes: Sheep producers themselves, professional sheep shearers, sheep dog trainers, wool warehouses, livestock auctions that are marketing lamb, feedlots and some small wool mills, and lamb-harvesting plants.
Sheep Day Activities
- 10 AM – 3 PM MST National Sheep Shearing and Wool Handlers Championships
- 10 AM – 3 PM National Wool Handlers Championships
- To enter the National Sheep Shearing and/or Wool Handling Championships contact Leann Brimmer at 406.767.5312 or by email.
- 11 AM – 9:30 PM North American Sheep Dog Trials
To enter the North American Sheep Dog Trials contact John Kaiser at 605.484.4797 or by email.
If you are interested in participating in any of the events or hosting a booth, contact John Kaiser, Black Hills Stock Show Event Manager at 605.484.4797 or by email.