SDSU Extension offers Fit & Strong, an evidence-based physical activity program developed by researchers at the University of Illinois. This 8 or 12 week program targets older adults with osteoarthritis and has demonstrated significant functional and physical activity improvements in this population. However, anyone looking to become more active can experience success with this program.
- Manage arthritis
- Exercise safely
- Decrease joint pain and stiffness
- Improve daily function
- Reduce anxiety and depression
- Develop and maintain an active lifestyle
"This program was valuable in that we added, not only aerobic activity to the mix, but also strength training, flexibility exercises and health education to aid us with osteoarthritis and stiffness. We have been better-equipped to take the steps to better health.”
SDSU Extension is offering in-person workshops statewide by supporting trained leaders and maintaining a statewide database of programming and impacts. Due to COVID-19, specific workshop guidance may be in place for all leaders and participants attending workshops in-person:
- Participants will be asked to sign a waiver, acknowledging they are aware of the risks associated with engaging in physical activity.
- Workshops include an aerobic, strength and flexibility exercise component. In addition, each session ends with a group discussion around a health-related topic.
- Questions about workshop locations, requirements and/or safety? Please call 605-688-6409.
Fit & Strong @ Home is the online and remote adaptation of the in-person Fit & Strong program. Virtual program details are as follows:
- Fit & Strong @ Home is done at the comfort of your own home, using a virtual delivery through Zoom video conferencing and an online portal.
- The core components and all safety measures from traditional Fit & Strong still apply, along with additional safety measures and steps related to the online delivery.
To register for Fit & Strong @ Home, use the navigation below. Details for accessing your class via Zoom sessions will be sent one week prior to your session start date.
Our Participants Say
- "This class has helped me so much. I kept thinking I would need knee surgery to help me in daily walking, but I now have the strength in my knees that I didn’t have before I came to this class. Coming to this class has been a very positive action for me."
- "This program was valuable in that we added, not only aerobic activity to the mix, but also strength training, flexibility exercises and health education to aid us with osteoarthritis and stiffness. We have been better-equipped to take the steps to better health.”
- "One of the reasons for my participation in the Fit & Strong program is to assist me in battling rheumatoid arthritis. When a Vectra exam (which measures the level of the disease) was administered in 2010, I was diagnosed at a high risk to develop serious symptoms as I aged. The Fit & Strong program, which I've followed since 2019 has fostered healthy exercise habits."
- "Fit and Strong! has provided me with the structure I require to engage in a continual program of exercise. I'm the type of individual who requires a framework to motivate me to engage in a regular program of physical exercise. This, coupled with the benefits achieved by my husband, ensures my keeping up in my Fit & Strong goals."
- "I believe this exercise program has helped me greatly! I now can get out of bed without problems with leg and hip stiffness, go up and down stairs much more easily, and just feel better overall with more energy and ambition. I’ve even lost a few pounds, which is always good. The exercises make me feel stronger, and I’ve really enjoyed them. Keep up the good work!"
- "The Fit & Strong program was valuable in that we added not only aerobic activity to the mix, but also strength training, flex exercises and health education to aid us with osteoarthritis and stiffness. Hope capably demonstrated the use of exercise bands and ankle weights."
SDSU Extension is holding an online training session Sept. 23, 2022 for prospective instructors to help run the Fit & Strong! program.
Walk With Ease offers educational workshops that are designed to help adults living with ongoing arthritis, joint pain, or who are sedentary and want to become more active.
Every workshop is built on tried and true ways of achieving better health at any age or ability level.