SDSU Extension will be hosting a mental health training on October 29 at 8 AM CDT at the SDSU Extension Sioux Falls Regional Center (2001 E. Eighth St., Sioux Falls, SD 57103).
Mental Health First Aiders will learn a 5-step action plan that guides them through the process of reaching out and offering appropriate support.
- To introduce Mental Health First Aid (MHFA), the 8-hour training, and the role of a Mental Health First Aider.
- To give an overview of the prevalence and impact of mental health problems in the United States.
- To introduce the Mental Health First Aid Action Plan and how it fits within the array of interventions available to address mental health problems.
- To give an overview of the signs, symptoms, and possible risk factors and warning signs of mental health problems.
- To demonstrate the Mental Health First Aid Plan for someone who is experiencing a crisis.
The 8-hour training will allow time for group discussion and question and answer periods.
Lunch will be provided. All materials needed for the workshop will be provided to you when you arrive. Please bring whatever you are most comfortable with to take notes throughout the workshop.
Please register by October 25, 2019 as spots are limited. Contact the workshop leaders Lorna Wounded Head, SDSU Extension Family Resource Management Field Specialist by email or Heather Gessner, SDSU Extension Livestock Business Management Field Specialist by email or 605.782.3290 for more information.