SDSU Extension will be hosting a physical activity program starting Sept. 10 on Tues. and Fri. at 1 PM CDT (except for the last class, which will be on Wednesday because of the Thanksgiving holiday) at the First Lutheran Church (337 8th Street, Brookings, SD 57006).
This is a 12 week program that targets older adults with osteoarthritis and has demonstrated significant functional and physical activity improvements in this population.
This program will help participants:
- Gain a clear understanding of what osteoarthritis is and how physical activity that is tailored to the needs of persons with arthritis can help them manage their symptoms
- Learn to perform safe stretching, balance, aerobic and strengthening exercises
- Incorporate physical activity into their lifestyles
- Reduce arthritis symptoms
- Develop individualized, tailored, multiple component physical activity programs that are sustainable after the Fit & Strong program ends.
Registration is $50 and due by September 18. This event is open to the public and is a multi-component, evidence-based physical activity program for older adults. Contact Hope Kleine, SDSU Extension Health Education Field Specialist at 605.782.3290 or Nikki Prosch, SDSU Extension Health & physical Activity Field Specialist at 605.882.5140 for more information.