SDSU Extension, along with its project partners, will offer a Bringing the Farm to School: Producer Training from February 14-15 at West River Research and Extension (711 N. Creek Drive, Rapid City, SD 57703).
Schools offer a strong market opportunity for agricultural producers. At this training, farmers, ranchers, and local food processors can learn strategies for selling products to school markets, network with other producers, and visit a local school lunch operation.
Learn more about this project, funded in part with federal funds from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service through an agreement with the National Center for Appropriate Technology in partnership with the National Farm to School Network at Bringing the Farm to School: Producer Training. The training has been adapted as necessary to best fit the needs of a South Dakota audience.
Space is limited. Registration is required by January 31 using the blue button below. The cost of the training is $25 and includes some meals and refreshments and site visit transportation.
A block of rooms is being held at the Residence Inn until January 14. The rate of $69 per night is available for February 13 and February 14. Use the group name: Farm to School Training. Reserve by calling 605-791-9600 or visiting the Residence Inn website.
Tuesday, February 14
- 9:00-9:15 a.m. – Registration
- 9:15-9:55 a.m. – Welcome and Introduction: The Power of Farm to School
- 9:55-10:05 a.m. – Break
- 10:05-11:05 a.m. – Lunch, Kitchen Tour, and Q&A at East Middle School
- 11:05-11:15 a.m. – Break
- 11:15 a.m. -12:35 p.m. – Module 1: Getting to Know School Markets
- Child Nutrition Programs
- Local Food Sourcing and Procurement in School Meal Programs
- Opportunities Beyond the Lunchroom – Additional Child Nutrition Programs
- 12:35-12:45 p.m. – Break
- 12:45-2:50 p.m. – Module 2: Selling to School Markets
- Farm to School Market Channels
- Selling to School Districts
- 2:50-3:00 p.m. – Break
- 3:00-3:50 p.m. – Panel Discussion
- 3:50-4:20 p.m. – Module 3: Choosing the Right Product to Sell to Schools
- Choosing the Right Product
- 4:20-4:45 p.m. – Day 1 Wrap Up
- 6:00-8:00 p.m. – Farm to School Social (Optional)
Wednesday, February 15
- 8:15-8:30 a.m. – Welcome to Day 2
- 8:30-9:00 a.m. – Module 3: Choosing the Right Product to Sell to Schools (cont’d)
- Product Development
- 9:00-9:50 a.m. – Module 4: Growing for Schools
- Business Planning
- Scaling Up Production – Meeting Increased Demand for School Markets
- 9:50-10:00 a.m. – Break
- 10:00-10:55 a.m. – Module 4: Growing for Schools (cont’d)
- Crop & Livestock Production Planning (concurrent)
- Navigating Food Safety Standards When Selling to Schools
- 10:55-11:40 a.m. – Conclusion: Planning for Action
- 11:40 a.m.-Noon – Wrap-up and Evaluations