SDSU Extension, South Dakota Grassland Coalition, and the NRCS will be hosting a workshop on Feb 18 at the 4-H Building (515 7th St, Ipswich, SD 57451).
The format for the workshops will be short presentations on key topics by ranchers followed by open discussion and question/answer sessions with the audience. The Coalition encourages spouses, business partners, family members, and lenders to attend these workshops together.
Panelists include Hamann Family, Clear Lake, SD; Neil Bien, Veblen, SD; Jon Rohrbach, Roscoe, SD. Coffee and lunch will be served.
- 9 AM CST: Registration
- 10 - 10:10: Kickoff - Pete Bauman, SDSU Extension Range Field Specialist, Judge Jessop
- 10:10 - 11:30: When to calve / weather concerns - Jim Faulstich, Highmore, SD
- 11:30 - 12:30 PM CST: Managing the cow - Rick Smith, Thomas, SD
- 12:30 - 1: Lunch
- 1 - 1:45: Ranch resource allocation - Doug Sieck, Selby, SD
- 1:45 - 2:30: Marketing - Luke Perman, Lowry, SD
- 2:30 - 3 PM CST: Managing people/Schedule conflicts - Gene Holt, Wecota, SD
RSVP to Pete Bauman by email or at 605.882.5140; Jan Rounds by email or at 605.882.5140; or Judge Jessop by email or at 605.280.0127. Workshops are free to SD Grassland Coalition members and $30 for non-members (which includes an annual membership and lunch at the event).
RSVPs for these workshops is requested for lunch planning if possible, but not mandatory. The Coalition understands that winter is a difficult time to plan, so walk ins are welcome.