South Dakota State University (SDSU) Extension will be hosting Small Grain Variety Tours starting June 17 in Ideal, with various locations and dates to follow.
Funded by South Dakota Wheat and the General Mills Foundation, the tour features Extension agronomists and researchers, who will be on hand at each South Dakota field location to discuss 2021 variety information.
Ideal: June 17, 4 p.m. CST – Evening meal provided following tours
- Oats: Half mile south of the 266th St. and 316th Ave. intersection
- Winter Wheat: (following oats around 5 p.m.) Half mile south of the 266th St. and 317th Ave. intersection
Wall: June 23, 4:30 p.m. MT– Evening meal provided following tours
- Oats, Spring and Winter Wheat: From Wall, 1½ miles south on S.D. Highway 240, then half mile west on Sage Creek Road
Dakota Lakes: June 24, 3 p.m. CST– In conjunction with annual field day
- Oats and Winter Wheat: Dakota Lakes Research Farm, 17 miles southeast of Pierre on S.D. Highway 34
Hayes: June 29, 11 a.m. CST
- Winter Wheat: From Hayes, half mile west on S.D. Highway 14, 3 miles north on Hayes Road
Agar: June 29, 5:30 p.m. CST – Evening meal provided following tour
- Spring Wheat: From Agar, 9 miles north on U.S. Highway 83, 1 mile east on 167th St., and then a quarter mile north on 308th Ave.
Selby: July 1, 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m. CST – Noon meal provided
- Winter Wheat (11 a.m.): From the junction of U.S. Highway 83 and U.S. Highway 12, then a half mile east on U.S. Highway 12, plots are on the north side of the road
- Oats and Spring Wheat (1:30 p.m.): From Selby, half mile north on U.S. Highway 83, plots are on the east side of the road
South Shore: July 8, 4:30 p.m. CST– In conjunction with annual field day
- Oats and Spring Wheat: Northeast Research Farm, 2 ¼ miles west of the Interstate 29 Exit 193 (South Shore exit)
Claire City: July 15, 4:30 p.m. CST– Evening meal provided following tour
- Spring Wheat: From Claire City, 3½ miles south on 455th Ave., then three-quarters of a mile east on 109th St.
There is no cost to attend any of these tours. Please contact Jonathan Kleinjan, SDSU Extension Agronomist for more information or any questions.