The South Dakota 4-H Legislature Program is designed to provide a state level civic and governmental education program allowing participants an opportunity to gain a better understanding of how our state government operates while strengthening youth voice opportunities for the SDSU Extension 4-H Youth Development program.
South Dakota 4-H members can engage in the program by participating as a constituent or run for a South Dakota 4-H Legislator role.
May 1, 4:30 pm CT/ 3:30 pm MT: Campaign Process
- This session will highlight the process to run for the legislature, both the real-life SD legislature and the mock 4-H legislature! This session is open to anyone interested in learning more about the campaign process, but is required for those interested in running. Access the meeting here.
June 8, 4:30 pm CT/ 3:30 pm MT: Voting Process
- Now that we have our candidates, it’s time to think about voting! We will cover the importance of voting, the duties of a voting organizer, and how candidates “Get Out the Vote” before an election. Our voting process will look different from the traditional experience, but we will share both processes with you. This session is important for all 4-H members because everyone will be involved in the voting process. Access the meeting here.
July 13, 4:30 pm CT/ 3:30 pm MT: Orientation/Bill Writing
- After being elected, legislators begin working to draft legislation, or bills. This doesn’t have to be a scary process! We will focus on the important parts to include, how to look at all aspects of the decision making process, and what things are important to include in your bill. This session is open to anyone interested in learning more about the bill writing process, but is required for those elected to represent their counties. Access the meeting here.
June 29, 4:30 pm CT/ 3:30 pm MT: My Role in Advocacy
- After the votes have been submitted its time to think about your role as a constituent and how important your engagement is in the legislative process. Access the meeting here.
September 13, 4:30 pm CT/ 3:30 pm MT: Committee/Caucus and Bill Review
- For this webinar, we will be covering the legislative process as it applies specifically to the committee and caucus meetings. We will discuss the importance of this process for the SD legislature and how we will be utilizing this for our South Dakota 4-H Legislature. This webinar is open to anyone interested in learning more about the legislative procedure, but is required for those elected to represent their counties. Access the meeting here.
September 27, 4:30 pm CT/ 3:30 pm MT: House Floor/Event
- As the last session before the in-person event, we will be going over legislative process as it relates to the general session. We will show you examples of floor debate during the South Dakota legislative session and go over the details of the schedule for the event. This session is open to anyone interested in learning more about the legislative process and the schedule of the event, but is required for those elected to represent their counties. Access the meeting here.
October 3: South Dakota 4-H Legislature Mock Session Event in Pierre
- The day has finally come for our South Dakota 4-H Legislators to put all their hard work to action and their constituents to see the bills wrote and potentially passed.
For more information on how to get involved contact your local 4-H professional or Amber Erickson, SDSU Extension 4-H Youth Development Field Operations Coordinator, Hilary Risner, SDSU Extension Regional 4-H Youth Program Advisor, Jenae Hansen, or Caroline Hansen.