SDSU Extension will host West River Field School on July 16, 2019 starting at 8:15 AM MDT at the SDSU West River Research Farm (13304 Alkali Rd., Sturgis, SD 57785). This farm is located 10 miles east of Sturgis on Alkali Road, directly north of the Sturgis Airport.
- 8:30 AM – Registration
- 9:00 AM – Introduction
- 9:15 AM – Session 1: Identifying Herbicide Damage on Crops - Gared Shaffer, SDSU Extension Weeds Field Specialist. (1.0 CEU Pest Management)
- 10:30 AM – Session 2: Entomology - Adam Varenhorst, Assistant Professor & SDSU Extension Field Crop Entomologist; Patrick Wagner, SDSU Extension Entomology Field Specialist. (1.0 CEU Pest Management)
- 12:00 PM – Lunch
- 12:30 PM –Session 3: Climate Update - Laura Edwards, SDSU Extension State Climatologist. (0.5 Crop Management)
- 1:15 PM – Session 4: Getting Creative with Forages - Sara Bauder, SDSU Extension Agronomy Field Specialist. (1.0 CEU Crop Management)
- 2:30 PM – Session 5: Diseases- ID, Management, Prevention - Emmanuel Byamukama, Assistant Professor & SDSU Extension Plant Pathologist. (1.0 CEU Pest Management)
- 3:45 PM – Wrap up
- 4:00 PM – Farm tour (optional): Chris Graham, SDSU Extension Agronomist, Farm Manager. (0.5 CEU Soil & Water)
Early registration cost is $50.00 and ends July 2 after that registration costs $65.00. Pre-registration is encouraged so that there is a meal for each participant. For more information about this event, please contact Patrick Wagner, SDSU Extension Entomology Field Specialist at 605.394.1722, Christopher Graham, SDSU Extension Agronomist at 605.394.2236, or Ruth Beck, SDSU Extension Agronomy Field Specialist at 650.773.8120.