- Related to tomatoes and peppers.
- Eggplants weight about 1-5 pounds and are oval or elongated.
- Usually dark purple colored skin and white, spongy flesh.
- Mature when flesh bounces back when pressed; hard to press is not mature yet; retaining dent is too mature.
- Look for an oval-shaped dimple near the blossom end.
- Refrigerate in plastic for 1-2 days.
- Cook with or without the skin; peeling is desirable for large eggplant. Use only a stainless steel knife.
- Can be baked, broiled, microwaves, sautéed, grilled or stewed. It is not eaten raw.
- Salting the eggplant; cut up, sprinkle with salt, let it drain, rinse and pat dry.
- Milk flavor is enhanced by adding spices such as garlic or foods such as tomato, onion, or cheese.
- Undercooked eggplant will have a chewy texture.
Like it! Herbed Baby Eggplant
- 3lbs. small oriental-type eggplants
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Black pepper
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, shredded or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Wash eggplants, remove caps, and cut into quarters or halves. Place pieces on baking sheet in a single layer.
- Rinse salt off eggplant, pat dry, and cut into pieces. Place pieces on baking sheet in a single layer.
- Mix the garlic and oil. Drizzle garlic/oil mixture over eggplant.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until eggplants are brown and tender. Let cool slightly.
- Rinse basil leaves, and chop finely, or measure dried basil.
- Put eggplants into a large bowl and drizzle with vinegar. Add the basil and toss.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition Facts per Serving: Calories 230; Fat 19g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 1160mg; Carbohydrates 14g; Sugar 3g; Fiber 8g; Protein 3g
Colorful fact sheets, recipe cards and educational videos provide educators and families with fun, engaging tools to enhance any dietary curriculum in a variety of settings.
Quick resources are available in the fact sheets below. Download the zipped folder to use the lesson plan, sampling instructions, recipes and display materials in your educational program.